If you have a plan to renovate your garage, then you should know tips and tricks on how do I enlarge a garage door opening.
But before we discuss that matter, we should know some of the basic information regarding enlarging a garage.
Common Garage Door Sizes
Now, before continuing to the main topic, we should discuss the common garage door size first. As you may know, there is two kinds of garage door, a standard single and a standard double one.
While the single door standard is 8 feet wide and 7 feet high, the double one is 16 feet wide and 7 feet high.
But for newly constructed homes, usually, they have already increased the width and height where the single one will be 9 feet wide and 8 feet height.
So far the widest garage door is 20 feet wide and 12 feet high, but just a tip, if you want large garage space try a detached garage.
9 Steps On How Do I Enlarge A Garage Door Opening
So if you think your garage is too standard, or maybe your cars and trucks can’t fit in the present garage door opening, then you can enlarge it.
But the ultimate question is how do I enlarge a garage door opener? Well, you can follow these simple yet useful steps.
- The first step is to uninstall the garage door opener and rails.
- After that, you have to mark on the side room walls, where you want to put the new opening.
- Don’t forget the electrical wiring and switches.
- Make sure and double-check whether you have made enough room length-wise, height-wise, and depth-wise for your new garage door.
- Buy a new door that fits those criteria.
- Just an advice, if you have a double-door opener, then rechecked your measurements again.
- Then you can start knocking out inches on the side rooms.
- The next step is to frame up the new opening door.
- The last step is to install the new door.
Of course, before you decide to enlarge the garage door opening, you have to consider the most important thing, check the budget.
Do you have enough budget? You also have to consider whether replace it with two single standards or get the double standard.
But there are other factors that you have to consider before deciding to replace it with double or two singles.
Such as if you put two singles, and one of them is broken, then you can still get out from the second one. But if you decided double standard, your car would be stuck and can’t get out if it broken.
Price on Enlarge A Garage Door
Now that you already know how to enlarge a garage door opener, we should discuss pricing. The average price on a home guide for 9 feet wide and 8 feet height will cost between $400 up to $2,800.
And if it included a new opener and installation, the cost will increase up to $250 and $600. Meanwhile, for a double garage door opener with 18 feet wide and 8 feet height, the door itself will cost somewhere between $800 to $5,500,
But if you want to expand the entire garage, it will cost you between $16,000 and $40,000 as the expert says.
So that’s all you need to know on how do I enlarge a garage door opening. Hopefully, you gain more info surrounding the topic. Happy enlarging!