Want to create a patio that’s the place to be this summer? Check out these four things you can do to make your patio perfect.
Summer will be here soon, and many people are impatiently waiting for the warmer weather to spend time outside. Having a comfortable patio is a great way to enjoy the outdoors without actually having to leave the house, and your guests will enjoy the space as well.
Plus, with most of us working from home for the time being, you’ll have plenty of time to redecorate your patio and make it the only place you want to be this summer.
There are tons of ways you can improve your patio that don’t include large-scale renovations or expensive additions. Sometimes, the simplest things can set the environment, make you comfortable, and encourage togetherness between your family and friends.
Spending time alone or with friends and family on your patio doesn’t necessarily need to be glamorous, but it’s still nice to have a space where everybody wants to gather.
If you want to spruce up your patio to make it the place to be this summer, you’re in luck. In this article, we’ll give you a few beginner tips and ideas to make your patio an amazing place to be. Just keep reading below to find out how!
A simple way of setting the mood around your patio area is to install lights. There are a variety of outdoor lights that you can install around the property to add a natural glow without being too intense or artificial. Some different types of outdoor lighting include:
- Hanging string lights
- Garden lights
- Up and down lights
- Well and ground lights
Any of these are great options for adding ambient lighting to your patio. One of the most popular options, string lights, is a cheap and easy way to do this.
From vintage bulbs, globe bulbs, LED lights, and holiday lights, there are many options you can choose from to achieve the look you’re going for.
When it comes to string lights, you can easily hang them from your roof or install poles to hang them from. Simply drape them across the perimeter of your area or hang them as a canopy that covers your patio.
No matter how you decide to install your lights, they will be a great addition to making the perfect patio.
No matter how amazing your patio may be, you won’t want to sit out there if you’re being attacked by bugs. Summer is the peak season for mosquitos, and constantly getting left with itchy and painful bumps isn’t something you want to experience in your own backyard. Also, if you decide to cook or eat outside, you don’t want to be swarmed by flies attempting to get a bite of the meal you made.
To avoid pests taking over your patio, you’ll want to take a few preventative measures to ensure your outdoor space is pest free. Here are some of the best ways to do that:
- Light citronella candles or torches around the perimeter
- Get rid of any standing water
- Remove anything that could attract pests, such as trash cans
- Install bird feeders to attract birds to the area
- Install fans
You can also use pest control services to spray chemicals around your outdoor area to prevent pests. Mosquito control is a popular option. Some pest control companies will come and spray your area to prevent mosquitos. To learn more about pest control services, you can check out reviews on House Method.
A good cleaning session can make a huge difference in how your patio looks. You may think your patio is already clean from a quick glance, but you’d be surprised with the actions you can take to remove built-up dirt around your patio.
Power washers can do wonders and can clean things you didn’t even know are able to be cleaned. From concrete flooring, patio tiles, fences, and furniture, a power washer can take a seemingly clean space to the next level of brightness.
In addition to power washing, doing regular lawn and garden maintenance can also add a polished look to your patio. Sweep up any debris around the area, trim lawn edges and bushes, and mow the grass.
Laying down fresh mulch, pine straw, or gravel is also a great way to add freshness. A clean garden will also uplift your home while giving you a new hobby. By doing these things, your patio area will look well-kept and will be an area anybody would want to hang out in.
Also, don’t forget to wash furniture cushions to get rid of any dirt or mildew that has accumulated.
Decorations around your patio can make the look and feel of your patio incredible. Some good options for decorations include:
- Plants: While your backyard may already have a lawn and trees, adding plants around the patio area can liven up the space. Plant some flowers, hang potted plants, or start a garden by the edge of your patio to add life and color.
- Curtains: Curtains may not be the first thing you think of when it comes to patio decorations, but they can add an element of privacy to your area while being stylish at the same time.
- Furniture: This is a pretty obvious addition, but adding different types of furniture to your patio is key to creating a place where you’ll want to spend time. Outside of couches and chairs, other types of furniture you can include are bar carts, floor pillows, and hammocks.
- Outdoor rug: An outdoor rug is a great addition to any patio. Put it under a table or some chairs and your patio will have the look and comfort of a living room.
- Outdoor pillows: Just like your bed, adding pillows to a patio area brings another level of comfort to you and your guests. The more pillows, the better!
If you can’t do any large-scale renovations or DIY projects, the easiest way to transform your patio is to simply add decorations. Adding decorations will give your patio a homier and more comfortable feel.
These are just a few of the many options for making your patio the place to be. Other things you can do to set the vibe are installing speakers to play music and making it kid-friendly (or adult-friendly — bring in the outdoor bar!).
Whatever you choose to do to your patio will be a great long term investment to create the perfect outdoor space. Have fun, and enjoy your summer!