Have you ever found mold in your house? Of course, it’s very annoying. Moreover, if you have done various businesses and spent large enough funds to beautify your home. Well, in this case, does homeowners insurance cover mold?
In order to better understand it, there are several explanations that you should know about it. We provide a complete explanation regarding “does homeowners insurance cover mold damage.”
Can Insurance Be Used to Cover Home Damage Due to Mold?
Does homeowners insurance cover mold? Actually, a standard home insurance policy should be used to cover mold problems that damage the house. The reason is, the growth of mushrooms is unpredictable and usually happens in a short period of time.
However, there are several criteria that allow you to get an insurance claim for damage to your home caused by the fungus. Some of them are house damage caused by mold growth caused by the following things.
- Toilets that overflow and make the walls or floor damp so that mold grows.
- There was water damage. An example is rainwater that enters the house or pipe water that seeps into the walls which causes mold to grow inside the house.
- Damage to the washing machine which causes water from the washing machine to overflow outside and cause mold to grow on the floor or walls around the washing machine.
- The fire was extinguished by firefighters. Sometimes, it can also trigger the growth of mold in the house.
- Damage due to natural disasters such as floods. This is because natural disasters are not included in your fault as the homeowner. Therefore, you can file an insurance claim if your house becomes moldy as a result of a natural disaster that has occurred.
How Much Fungus Insurance Claims Fund?
After getting an answer from “does homeowners insurance cover mold damage,” you need to know that the funds you get from insurance claims are not too much.
So, you may only get a few dollars for the claim. Of course, the amount of the claim for these funds can vary, depending on the policy of the insurance company that you use.
However, in general, the range of insurance funds that you can get from $ 1,000 to $ 10,000 for each case of damage to the house caused by mold.
The insurance fund can be further increased if you discuss it in advance with the insurance employee who assists you in making the insurance policy.
What Cases That Make You Can’t Claim Insurance?
There are several cases where you cannot claim the insurance funds. Usually, it is caused by your own negligence. The following things can also prevent you from claiming your home damage insurance due to mold.
- You ignore the occurrence of water leaks in your home.
- There is no proper ventilation in your home. So, that’s what makes your house damp and eventually grows mold.
- Blocked sewer lines around your home which makes it easy for mold to grow around the house.
What are Steps that Must be Taken to Make an Insurance Claim?
First, report the incident. Then, document all the damage that occurs in your home. While the insurer is still processing your complaint, you better try to prevent the spread of fungal growth first. Furthermore, use professional services if indeed you experience problems with insurance claims.
After knowing about “does homeowners insurance cover mold,” now you know what to do next, right?